- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
‘WAR ON CHRISTMAS’ CONTINUES AS ATHEIST BANNER IS DESTROYED
Cranford, NJ—The small township of West Milford, NJ has become the scene of the latest attack on Atheists. Vandals allegedly destroyed a banner donated by American Atheists for the township holiday display after local City Councilman Joseph Smolinski appeared to advocate its theft. According to an article in the NorthJersey.com news source, Smolinski was adamant that the [atheist banner] be taken down in spite of any legal implications, adding that he was surprised no individual acted alone to remove it from municipal property. Smolinski said he, for one, would turn the other cheek if they did. Just days after this statement, the banner was destroyed.
Dave Silverman, President of American Atheists said, “Religious political leaders constantly accuse us of being immoral while they advocate theft and violence. These attacks show the depth of their hypocrisy. Why would the citizens of West Milford Township want someone this bigoted representing them? Our hope is that the official investigation into this event includes questioning the councilman.”
Teresa MacBain, Communications Director of American Atheists said, “Many people are claiming that atheists have declared ‘war on Christmas’. The news is filled with reports of atheists being accused of being ‘terrorists’, a ‘merry band of fascists’, and much worse. These same people are allegedly resorting to illegal activities like vandalism to wage their so-called war.”
A township resident, Gary Steele, contacted American Atheists about using the “You Know It’s A Myth” billboard in the West Milford, NJ holiday display. Mr. Steele erected the banner on Sunday, December 16, 2012.
AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a national 501(c)(3) organization that defends civil rights for atheists, freethinkers, and other nonbelievers; works for the total separation of religion and government; and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.
Join us as we celebrate our 50 Years of Reason at our 2013 National Convention in Austin, Texas March 28-31, 2013. You can find out more about this event including registration at atheists.org/convention2013
American Atheists, Inc.
P.O. Box 158
Cranford, N.J. 07016
Tel: (908) 276-7300
Fax: (908) 276-7402