- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
For Immediate Release: October 9, 2012
For more information contact:
David Silverman, President, 908-276-7300 ext. 5
Teresa MacBain, Public Relations Director, 908-276-7300 ext. 7
Latest Pew Forum Research Shows Number of Godless Continues to Rise
Secularism On The Rise—Protestantism Lowest In History
me-and-ellen-copy.pngCranford, NJ—American Atheists celebrate the latest Pew Research Center poll showing that, once again, the number of people in the U.S. who do not believe in any god, or who are non-religious (aka “nones”) is on the rise. The results indicate a 4.8% increase in the number of “nones” in the last year, with a total increase of 25% over the last five years. This continual rise is contrasted by
a steady decline, across the board, in the number of people who are religious. For the first time in history, Protestants no longer hold the majority.
This report is a confirmation of the social shift occurring in the U.S., allowing scores of atheists to come out openly, and moving the U.S. from a predominantly religious nation to a more secular nation.
David Silverman, President of American Atheists said, "We're seeing a marked shift in the religion bias of our country. Many atheists are 'coming out' and openly declaring their non-belief to friends, family, and co-workers. The prejudice still exists, but the statistics prove that the stranglehold of religion is quickly fading away, and being replaced by a more tolerant, secular society."
The term “nones” comprise a demographic of Americans who classify their religion as “nothing in particular” or simply “none”. According to the report:
• From 2007-2012, the “nones” have risen from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults.
• Eighty-eight percent of the “nones” say they are not looking for a religion indicating their ties with religion are permanently broken.
• The “nones” are comprised of: atheists (12%), agnostics (17%), and nothing in particular (71%).
American Atheists has seen tremendous growth over the past 50 years. There has been a marked change in the numbers of atheists ‘comingout’ as displayed by the Reason Rally held on the National Mall in Washington D.C. on March 24, 2012, drawing a crowd of nearly 30,000 non-believers.
The report can be found online: http://www.pewforum.org/Unaffiliated/nones-on-the-rise.aspx
AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a national 501(c)(3) organization that defends civil rights for atheists, freethinkers, and other nonbelievers; works for the total separation of religion and government; and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.
American Atheists, Inc.
P.O. Box 158
Cranford, N.J. 07016
Tel: (908) 276-7300
Fax: (908) 276-7402