- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
Atheists Assert Right to Blaspheme
American Atheists President, David Silverman, announced today plans to present a special lecture about defaming Islam at the upcoming Kansas City Regional Atheist Meeting held at the Sheraton Overland Park Hotel and Convention Center on October 6-7, 2012, in Kansas City, KS. The intent of the lecture is to affirm the right of free speech in America, including blasphemy.
“We have seen recently that most of the Islamic world is demanding that all people avoid defaming their prophet, and suddenly across America our citizens are obeying out of fear or political correctness. We are losing our right to criticize, via our own submission,” said Mr. Silverman.
The riots across the Muslim world, resulting in death and destruction in reaction to the Innocence of Muslims movie, are just the latest events that threaten, quite intentionally,individuals’ right to say what we think. Islam is ironically portrayed as a victim, but the real victims are those of us who value free speech. These riots inspired Mr. Silverman to post pictures on his social networks of himself holding signs that proclaimed “Islam Is Barbaric.”
“Criticizing any religion is often equated to racism or hate, when really it's just honest expression that must be protected,” said Mr. Silverman.
American Atheists was a target of this kind of intimidation from Christians in August when billboards criticizing Christianity and Mormonism had to be taken down early due to violent threats against the billboard company.
AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a national 501(c)(3) organization that defends civil rights for atheists, freethinkers, and other nonbelievers; works for the total separation of religion and government; and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.
American Atheists, Inc.
P.O. Box 158
Cranford, N.J. 07016
Tel: (908) 276-7300
Fax: (908) 276-7402