- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
Residents of King Disrespect Veterans By Forcing Jesus
The city of King in North Carolina was in the news last year for having a Christian flag at its Veteran’s Memorial in they city's Central Park. In order to avoid the pending lawsuit, the city held a lottery where each week a veteran’s family gets to decide which flag will fly at the memorial. The families can choose from one of the 41 flags approved by the Veteran’s Administration.
So for 2011, 52 names out of 110 applications were randomly selected. Of those 52 veteran’s families, all but four chose the Christian flag. After all, it was important that they stand up to those pesky sons-of-bitches who dare uphold the separation of church and state not only in the federal Constitution, but also in the North Carolina state constitution!
The four families that did not choose the Christian flag chose no flag at all.
Well, as it happens, last week was one of those weeks when no flag was supposed to fly at the memorial. But the Christian flag was flying. Did the city violate its agreement? No. Did the maintenance crew forget to take it down? No.
What happened was Christian citizens rallied and came in and put up a mobile flag so that they could stand up against those pesky sons-of-bitches like us. These misguided and ignorant Christians decided on their own to violate the wishes of the veteran’s family that won the lottery for that week and to disgrace the very thing the memorial stood for by forcing their religious flag on everyone.
Tracey Mezaros, the daughter of a veteran and lucky lottery winner, stated, "We chose to fly no flag because we believe it more accurately honors veterans. Veterans of this country are not only Christian. They are Jewish, Muslim, pagan, and, yes, even atheist. They deserve to be honored for their service to this country, too."
Too bad the rest of the citizens of King are not as intelligent as Mrs. Mezaros and would rather be forcing Jesus beliefs upon everyone with complete and utter disdain for the veterans and their families. Shame on you Christians of King, North Carolina! Shame on you indeed.
For the full story, go here.
By Blair Scott