- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
Italian Judge Luigi Tosti Acquitted!
July 17, 2012: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For more information, please contact:
Dave Silverman, President 908-276-7300 ext. 5
Teresa MacBain, Public Relations Director 908-276-7300 ext. 7
ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
July 17, 2012 – After a seven-year battle, the Court of Appeals in Aquila, Italy has acquitted Judge Luigi Tosti. On November 18, 2005, the Aquila Tribunal sentenced Judge Tosti to seven months in jail, one year of exclusion from public buildings and suspension of his salary for refusing to judge cases in the presence of religious symbols in the courtroom.
Judge Tosti said, “I was convicted because I am a minor-league citizen compared to Catholics. No freedom has been won without, in the beginning, a person or a group of persons trying to get this singular part of freedom against a majority of persons not willing to give this freedom.”
In 2006, the secular community rallied around Judge Tosti, demanding his acquittal, cessation of the disciplinary proceedings and full restoration to his position. Through a well-coordinated effort comprised of petitions, articles, blog posts and letters, those valiant efforts were rewarded with the acquittal of Judge Tosti.
The International Association of Freethought (IAFT) stated, “The Italian Judge Luigi Tosti has been persistently waging a struggle to be fully reinstated in his position after being dismissed because he had refused to administer justice in a courtroom ornamented with a crucifix.” American Atheists is a member of the IAFT with David Silverman, president of American Atheists, serving as an official IAFT spokesperson.
The secular community has won a stunning victory with the acquittal of Judge Tosti. American Atheists send their congratulations to Judge Tosti and to all who fought alongside him during this battle.
AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a nationwide movement that defends civil rights for Atheists, Freethinkers and other nonbelievers; works for the total separation of church-mosque-temple and state; and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.
American Atheists, Inc.
P.O. Box 158 Cranford, N.J. 07016
Tel: (908) 276-7300
Fax: (908) 276-7402