- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
Virginia Public Offical Calls Atheists Terrorists
“[This is] another example of putting fingers in eyes of shoppers and businesses and trying to make a mockery of Christmas holidays — that’s what they’re really about. They’re hell bent on trying to destroy people’s holidays,” said Ken Reid, a supervisor representing the Leesburg district. "None of the religious organizations in the county have had any problem with what we’re doing,” he said. “It’s strictly this group of terrorists. They’re fanatics who basically want to stamp out religion in all public life and property.” (emphasis mine)
This is absolutely appalling! How can a public official spew such inflammatory language toward anyone! He puts atheists in the same class as those who fly planes into buildings in order to make a religious statement. We may be very vocal in our fight for the equal rights of atheists, but we are not violent! Our tactics follow the advice our parents shared when we were young, "Use your words not your fists." Someone needs to remind Mr. Reid of that elementary lesson.
NBC Channel 4 did a follow up interview with our VA State Director Rick Wingrove and Mr. Reid. In the interview, Mr. Reid makes a half-hearted apology for his innappropriate statements. Some have called his "confession" a non-apology. You be the judge.