American Atheists is currently undertaking a search for its next president.
The application period for the position of President of American Atheists is open until July 7, 2018.
The President of American Atheists provides visionary leadership, stewardship, and a powerful influential voice for atheists. In collaboration with the Board of Directors and senior staff, the President will develop and oversee the implementation of programs and strategies to continue our mission to advocate for the absolute separation of religion from government, to elevate the profile of atheism in public discourse, and to build and strengthen communities that fully represent the growing number of atheists in America.
- Provide visionary and inspirational strategic leadership to cultivate a robust, creative, responsive, and welcoming environment for staff, affiliates, volunteers, members, donors, and coalition partners.
- Serve as primary spokesperson for the organization actively promoting our mission through motivational speaking engagements and all forms of media.
- Identify and develop opportunities for advocacy through coalition building, creative media campaigns, and other direct actions.
- Oversee the long-term financial stability and growth of the organization and set priorities to support the needs of the programs and staff.
- Develop a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Directors and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and donor engagement information against stated goals.
- Identify opportunities for program funding by cultivating, stewarding, soliciting, and maintaining a portfolio of major donors.
- Expand the influence of American Atheists.
- At least five years of management experience, either in the non-profit, for-profit, or public sector.
- Extensive knowledge of and commitment to the separation of religion from government and a personal investment in the mission of American Atheists.
- Outstanding communication skills, including extensive experience as an outgoing and high profile spokesperson; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing, to articulate the priorities, programs, and mission of American Atheists; and experience in both traditional media (print, television, radio, etc.) and digital media.
- Proven success as a relationship builder and fundraiser; demonstrated experience and capacity to raise funds from major donors and secure gifts in the six-figure range.
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Demonstrated ability with budget and financial management.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include paid sick, holiday, and vacation days; 401(k) with employer match, health insurance and dental insurance.
This position can be based anywhere and will require significant travel.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected] by July 7, 2018 with the subject line “President Search”.
American Atheists is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Atheists to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors, except where otherwise provided by law.