From time to time, American Atheists will post available positions at our Cranford, New Jersey headquarters or in our legal and public policy center in Washington, DC.
Legal and Public Policy Clerkships
American Atheists seeks highly motivated individuals to serve as Legal and/or Public Policy law clerks. Law clerks will work with and report to the Legal staff of American Atheists in our Washington, DC office and will focus on tasks within the legal, public policy, and field departments.
Under the direction of the National Legal and Policy Director, the law clerks will complete tasks to support the mission of American Atheists by providing assistance with case management, research, client relations, legislative tracking, advocacy-related drafting, and other similar tasks. An effective law clerk will play a major role in the continued success of American Atheists’ legal and policy work.
American Atheists operates in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment and qualified individuals will be required to adapt to new challenges as they arise. All law clerks will have areas of primary responsibility, but are often required to be generalists and work creatively to address the ever-changing challenges associated with our work.
- Research and write advocacy resources, testimony, and memos about legal and public policy issues being addressed by American Atheists.
- Track legislation, administrative rules, and other relevant policy at the state and federal levels.
- Research, draft, and edit press releases, social media posts, articles for American Atheist magazine, the American Atheists members’ newsletter, website, social media, and other publications.
- Monitor, track, and summarize legal policy developments relevant to the organization’s mission and activities.
- Attend meetings with coalition partners, members of Congress, and executive branch agencies with American Atheists staff.
- Availability to work in the Washington, DC office at least 16 hours per week.
- Currently enrolled in law school. 1L, 2L, or 3L students may apply.
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills are a must.
- Ability to meet short deadlines in a fast-paced, time-sensitive work environment.
- Creativity and knowledge of social media.
- Ability to work in collaboration with a team while taking initiative and working independently once given direction.
- Ability to handle sensitive information, including court cases, public relations strategy, and pending announcements with discretion and integrity.
- Experience with the Adobe Suite, Microsoft Suite, and other creative tools a plus.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in the separation of religion and government, support American Atheists’ mission to ensure equality for atheists, and have exceptional writing and research skills.
Compensation and Schedule
These are part or full time positions. The specific schedule is negotiable. Law clerks may choose to be paid the Washington, DC minimum wage (currently $12.50 per hour, $13.25 per hour beginning July 1, 2018) or, if eligible, receive law school credit hours. American Atheists will work with qualified and passionate candidates to ensure that the duties of this position align with their interests, skills, and experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] and place in the subject line: Legal Clerkship Applications. Please indicate your available semesters for clerkship – Spring, Summer, and/or Fall. Candidates will be interviewed and selected on a rolling basis. We regret that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to respond to all inquiries. No telephone calls or faxes, please.
It is the policy of American Atheists to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.