American Atheists seeks a Communications Director to join our team.
The Communications Director develops and implements communications strategies to highlight the work of American Atheists and its positions on matters of public concern.
This staff person creates and distributes media content to relevant stakeholders, develops communications strategy, provides communications support to American Atheists staff, and enhances American Atheists social media and digital presence.
The Communications Director will be responsible for managing multiple ongoing projects and responding to the urgency of the moment.
The ideal candidate will bring strong organizational and planning skills, along with an eye for effective storytelling to move opinion on some of the most important policy issues facing Americans today.
Strategic Leadership and Narrative Setting
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy for American Atheists and its affiliates and partners to influence and shape the conversation around religious freedom issues on both national and local levels
- Develop and enhance American Atheists’ “library” of public education materials to provide relevant information and resources to share with elected officials and their staff, the media, coalition partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public to ensure that American Atheists is viewed as a primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information in the religious freedom conversation and within the atheist community
- Research and secure potential speaking opportunities and media placements for American Atheists and its affiliates and partners, and for American Atheists events and public activities
- Develop and draft press releases, statements, op-eds, social media content, and other informational materials to promote the work of American Atheists
- Manage all press inquiries and media contacts
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with relevant editors, reporters, commentators, authors, and influencers
- Maintain and manage American Atheists social media footprint, including exploring new opportunities for outreach, audience building, and engagement
- Design, create, and implement consistent branding and voice for online publications, social media graphics, print publications, and other communications platforms
- Explore online video, podcast, and other new media projects to expand the impact and reach of American Atheists’ educational content
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience, plus three to five years of related experience
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to articulate the priorities and mission of American Atheists
- Superb attention to detail while managing a high volume of work; able to juggle competing demands and prioritize without compromising quality
- Creative, collaborative ,and team-oriented; able to “roll with the punches” while working to overcome challenges and creatively solve problems when — or before — they arise
- Commitment to the atheist, secular, and humanist community and the policy issues American Atheists advocates on
- The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, or other graphic design software
- Experience with Meltwater or other media contact services
- Experience building and maintaining a network of media contacts and managing press relations
Target salary for this position is $65,000 to $75,000, depending on experience and qualifications. American Atheists offers a generous benefits package including unlimited paid sick leave, plus holiday, flexible vacation leave, and volunteer/service leave; 401(k) with employer match; 100% employer-paid health and dental insurance; 12 weeks of paid family leave; and professional development funding.
Candidates may work from American Atheists’ headquarters in New Jersey, legal office in Washington DC, be fully remote, or work in a hybrid setting . American Atheists is committed to remaining flexible and adapting to the needs of our team. This role requires occasional domestic travel.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]. Please include “Communications” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
American Atheists is committed to building a team that fully represents the community we serve. We believe that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our team is crucial to succeed as a voice for underrepresented and marginalized people. We recruit, employ, compensate, and promote candidates without regard for age, race, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, past or present military service, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.