American Atheists seeks a visionary and ambitious Development Director to ensure the long term growth and success of the organization.
The Director of Development will establish the vision and goals for overall fundraising performance, including developing and executing organizational strategies and tactics to achieve the continued growth of American Atheists’ base of financial support. The Development Director will have the primary responsibility of implementing the infrastructure needed to meet short and long-term goals through the solicitation of major gifts, innovative membership campaigns, and expanded foundational and institutional support.
The Director of Development will expand and diversify American Atheists’ donor base and ensure that the organization’s messaging, outreach, and campaigns are used to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with existing donors and to reach new ones.
- Work with the senior leadership team to develop and implement comprehensive development strategies to include membership & monthly giving, major gifts, legacy & planned giving, foundation funding, and events;
- Maintain stewardship of donors to cultivate stronger relationships that result in increased donor retention, increased giving, and more frequent gifts;
- Advise and coordinate the organization’s implementation of direct mail and digital fundraising campaigns; and,
- Meet annual goals for donor visits and revenue.
- Support the senior leadership team and members of the Board of Directors on all major fundraising initiatives;
- Develop and implement strategies to engage, educate, and support the Board of Directors and senior staff in their personal fundraising efforts;
- Direct, grow, and manage American Atheists’ planned giving program;
- Identify prospects for individual major donor cultivation; and,
- Assist in securing and developing new sponsorships and giving models for American Atheists’ national events, including our national conference.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the membership department, including fulfillment of member correspondence;
- Establish and monitor staff performance expectations, develop and manage development and membership team, and promote a culture of service to our members; and,
- Mentor team members using a collaborative, energizing, and supportive approach that encourages staff retention and growth.
Outstanding candidates will have and embrace the values at the core of American Atheists’ mission, including passion for building strong atheist communities nationwide, elevating the stories, and advocating for the rights of those whose lives are negatively impacted by religious privilege, and ending stigma against our community. Although a knowledge of the secular community is a plus, candidates that bring a fresh, outside perspective are strongly encouraged to apply.
A successful applicant will bring at least six (6) years of demonstrated professional experience and success in the nonprofit development field. They will have the ability to inspire staff and volunteers to prioritize the organization’s development and fundraising needs, hold team members accountable to deadlines, and ensure delivery of high quality development interactions with American Atheists’ members. They will be outstanding communicators and be able to articulate the mission and work of American Atheists to a broad range of audiences, including members, major donors, grant funders, and corporate partners. They will have the ability to influence and engage these audiences with an eye toward building long term relationships.
Creativity, a sense of humor, and a collaborative approach to work are musts.
Target salary for this position is $70,000 to $80,000, depending on experience and qualifications. American Atheists offers a generous benefits package including: paid sick, holiday, vacation, and volunteer/service leave; 401(k) with employer match; 100% employer-paid health and dental insurance; paid family leave; professional development funding; and flexible scheduling and remote/work-from-home opportunities.
Preference will be given to candidates able to work from American Atheists’ headquarters in Cranford, New Jersey, just outside New York City, or from our Washington, DC office. However, remote candidates will also be considered. Post COVID-19, American Atheists is remaining flexible and adapting to the needs of our team, including opportunities for increased remote work. Once it is safe to do so, this role will require approximately 10-25% domestic travel.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected] no later than July 16, 2020. Please include “Development Director” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
American Atheists is committed to building a team that fully represent the community we serve. We recruit, employ, compensate, and promote candidates without regard for age, race, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, past or present military service, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors. We believe that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our team is crucial to succeed as a voice for underrepresented and marginalized people.