Working in collaboration with all members of the American Atheists team, the Membership Manager is responsible for the continued growth and engagement of American Atheists’ membership.
Core responsibilities include: processing and acknowledging incoming gifts; developing, maintaining, and soliciting membership renewal lists; serving as a primary point of contact for members and supporters of American Atheists; and managing the production of in-house member communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of membership information;
- Process incoming gifts, donations, and contributions to American Atheists;
- Acknowledge, thank, and fulfill membership cards for new and renewing members and donors;
- Develop, design, and regularly distribute compelling renewal mailings for annual members of American Atheists;
- Develop, design, and regularly distribute compelling digital membership appeals;
Compile membership and donor reports for American Atheists’ President and leadership;
- Assist program directors in identifying and contacting prospective major donors by researching donor history, preparing call lists, making calls to designated donors, and arranging meetings during travel;
- Develop and design informational publications for members, donors, and supporters, including brochures, pamphlets, and others;
- Write compelling, engaging, informative articles and copy for member newsletters, annual reports, and other American Atheists publications;
- Oversee production and publication of membership magazine;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for supporter inquiries, questions, and member support received via email or telephone;
- Provide excellent customer service for American Atheists members and supporters; and,
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience plus one to three years of related experience;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to articulate the priorities and mission of American Atheists;
- Superb attention to detail and ability to meet regular deadlines;
- Self-starter with the ability to work with little supervision;
- A supporters-first attitude in handling questions, concerns, and inquiries from members, donors, and supporters;
- Ability to handle sensitive information, including court cases, public relations strategy, and pending announcements, with discretion and integrity;
- Interest in and passion for the mission of American Atheists;
- Experience with Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel, is a must;
- Experience with the Adobe Suite and other creative tools is a plus; and,
- Experience with EveryAction or other membership database tools is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Target salary for this position is $42,000 to $50,000, depending on experience and qualifications. American Atheists offers a generous benefits package including: paid sick, holiday, vacation, and volunteer/service leave; 401(k) with employer match; 100% employer-paid health and dental insurance; paid family leave; flexible scheduling and telecommuting opportunities.
Location & Travel
This position is based in Cranford, New Jersey, just outside New York City. Remote candidates and candidates in Washington DC will also be considered.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and will be accepted only until this position is filled.
American Atheists is committed to building a team that fully represent the community we serve. We recruit, employ, compensate, and promote candidates without regard for age, race, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, past or present military service, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors. We believe that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our team is crucial to succeed as a voice for underrepresented and marginalized people.