American Atheists is dedicated to developing and supporting a healthy, thriving, and respected atheist community in the United States, with over 170 affiliates nationwide. Our Affiliate program provides a relationship with local groups that benefits both the local group and American Atheists in meeting our goals and mission.
We collaborate with local affiliates that want to participate in our civil rights campaigns or need assistance on local issues. We provide organizational and leadership support to local affiliates and, of course, we look to our local affiliates to keep us informed of emerging local civil rights issues so that we can meet the challenge.
Map of Local Partners and Affiliates
Affiliating with American Atheists brings your group:
- A free affiliate listing on the American Atheists Local Affiliates webpage
- Referrals for individuals in your area who contact American Atheists looking for a local group
- American Atheists periodic Affiliates newsletter, filled with updates about American Atheists campaigns and programs as well as organizational ideas and other information of interest to growing atheist affiliates
- Consultation assistance for local civil rights issues facing your organization
- Consultation assistance for organizational issues or problems
- Invitations to American Atheists leadership and program training workshops held in your area from time to time
- Access to American Atheists speakers
- Opportunity to host local workshops, even the American Atheists national convention
- Free affiliate subscription to American Atheist Magazine
- Free American Atheist literature for local distribution
- Participation in the affiliate meeting at the American Atheists’ annual convention
We expect affiliates to support the complete and absolute separation of religion and government and to support activism in support of the “wall of separation.” However, American Atheists and affiliates are not required to agree with every position or support every action taken by the other.
Affiliation creates no legal relationship. Affiliates are free to associate and engage with other local, national, and international organizations as they see fit. Affiliation creates no financial obligations for either party. Group affiliation is free of cost.
American Atheists requires affiliates to remain in contact. A current, regularly checked, public group email, a public or private contact email (of an organizer or officer), and a web presence are essential. If a group is deemed inactive or unreachable, affiliation may be revoked.
We will, from time to time, offer opportunities for affiliates to engage in activism. These may be on an opt-in or opt-out basis (never mandatory). We will attempt to contact group organizers, primarily via email; thus a current active email address is necessary.
Ready to affiliate?
Local Partners and local American Atheists affiliates are independent non-profit organizations and are not subsidiaries, agents, employees, or legal representatives of American Atheists. Local Partners and affiliates do not have the authority to bind American Atheists to any contractual obligations or otherwise act on behalf of American Atheists.