American Atheists has a full-time professional staff based in Cranford, NJ at the American Atheists Center.
American Atheists seeks two to three highly motivated individuals to serve as Program Assistants. The Program Assistants will work with and report to the staff of American Atheists in our Cranford, NJ office and will focus on tasks within the Program, Membership, and Legal Departments.
Under the direction of the National Program Director, the Program Assistants will complete tasks to support the mission of American Atheists by performing day-to-day administrative functions to support an efficient and dynamic small office team. An effective Program Assistant will play a major role in the continued success of American Atheists’ operations.
American Atheists operates in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment and qualified individuals will be required to adapt to new challenges as they arise. All staff members have areas of primary responsibility, but are often required to be generalists and work creatively to address the ever-changing challenges associated with our work.
- Print and mail correspondence from the membership department, including membership cards, thank you notes, and other materials.
- Assist staff to ensure timely fulfillment of orders received for merchandise, books, activism materials, literature, and other publications.
- Monitor inventory and stock for store merchandize, books, and other publications distributed by American Atheists.
- Research, edit, proof, and post articles for American Atheist magazine, the American Atheists members’ newsletter, website, social media, and other publications.
- Monitor, track, and summarize news items that arise each day that are relevant to the organization’s mission and activities.
- Maintain engagement with followers of American Atheists on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media platforms.
- Research appropriate topics for segments on the Atheist Viewpoint podcast or for letters to the editor, news articles, or press pitches.
- Research, fact check, and proof read magazine articles, newsletter articles, and other publications from American Atheists.
- Create, edit, and publish blog posts, website articles, or social media posts with the approval and support of other staff.
- Assist in the administration of the American Atheists Library and Archives by cataloging, shelving, and performing data entry for newly cataloged materials.
- Provide additional research and administrative support to members of the American Atheists staff.
- Complete other special projects as assigned.
- Availability to work in the Cranford, NJ office approximately 20 hours per week.
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant topic area, or currently enrolled in undergraduate college or university, or 2-3 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills are a must.
- Ability to meet short deadlines in a fast-paced, time-sensitive work environment.
- Creativity and knowledge social media.
- Ability to work in collaboration with a team while taking initiative and working independently once given direction.
- Ability to handle sensitive information, including court cases, public relations strategy, and pending announcements with discretion and integrity.
- Interest in the organizational mission of American Atheists.
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds.
- Experience with the Adobe Suite, Microsoft Suite, and other creative tools a plus.
- Experience with photography, videography, or other creative outlets a plus.
These are part time positions. Compensation will be in the range of $12 per hour, depending on the skill level and experience. American Atheists will work with qualified and passionate candidates to ensure that the duties of this position align with their interests, skills, and experience.
The Program Assistants will work under the close supervision of members of the American Atheists staff, including National Program Director, Membership Director, Legal Director, and others.
American Atheists is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Atheists to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors, except where otherwise provided by law.
Please email [email protected] with your resume and a cover letter discussing your interest in this position. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Due to high application volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly.