American Atheists President Dave Silverman’s first book, Fighting God, is a firebrand manifesto for normalizing atheism in America.
In the book, Silverman discusses the effectiveness, ethics, and the impact of his trademark in-your-face atheist activism. Silverman argues that religion is more than just wrong; it is malevolent and does not deserve our respect. It is our duty to be outspoken and do what we can to challenge religion whenever possible.
Examining the mentality, methods, and issues facing the firebrand atheist, Silverman presents an overwhelming argument for firebrand atheism and reveals:
- All religion is cafeteria religion. Everyone believes in a god who agrees with them.
- Firebrand atheism is more effective and more ethical than the so-called “nice-guy” approach.
- Religious privilege has no place in American society and is the antithesis of real religious freedom.
- Calling yourself an atheist is far more humanistic than hiding behind euphemisms like “freethinker” or “humanist.”
- Religion is not a force for good in the world and it is our moral responsibility to challenge it at every turn.
Fighting God is a provocative, unapologetic book that takes religion to task and will give inspiration to non-believers and serve as the ultimate answer to apologists.
Why It Matters
David Silverman, PresidentSupporters like you, people who are willing to be vocal about their atheism, remind people that atheists truly are everywhere. You make the road to openness and authenticity just a bit smoother for the next atheist who has to walk it.