In addition to the support of members, we depend on larger contributions from generous donors to ensure that American Atheists has the resources needed to make some of our most important work happen.
Matching gift challenges are a great way to make sure that American Atheists can take on lengthy (and often costly) legal battles and to make investments in the future of the organization. For example, anonymous donors have previously issued matching grant challenges to support legal work, billboard campaigns, and new membership drives.
Benefactors and patrons who wish to contribute to the educational work of American Atheists can support initiatives including student activism scholarships, endowed awards, and capital campaigns for the maintenance and renovation of the American Atheist Center and the Charles E. Stevens American Atheist Library and Archives, among other projects.
We would be glad to discuss current projects, new opportunities, and ideas. To discuss a potential matching gift challenge, or if you are interested in supporting specific initiatives and projects, please contact membership staff at [email protected] or (908) 276-7300 x307, or contact President Nick Fish at [email protected] or (908) 276-7300 x308.
All gifts to American Atheists are tax-deductible where allowed by law.
Give a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA
You can make a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to lower your income taxes and maximizing your impact by supporting our work! If you’re 70½ years old or older, this can be a great way to meet your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) amount while reducing your tax burden!
What is a Qualified Charitable Distribution?
When you take a distribution from their IRA, it usually counts as income for tax purposes. QCDs, sometimes called “IRA Charitable Rollovers,” are an exception. If you are 70½ year old or older, you can distribute up to $100,000 each year from your IRA to American Atheists without counting the distribution as income.
What is a Required Minimum Distribution?
The Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) is the smallest amount you must distribute from your IRA each year. The penalty for missing an RMD is 50% of the amount that was supposed to have been distributed.
Whether you are subject to the RMD depends on your age. Individuals are subject to the RMD if they either (i) were at least 70½ years old at any point in 2019, or (ii) are currently 72 years old or older.
QCDs count toward your Required Minimum Distribution (up to $100,000), lowering your adjusted gross income, giving you great tax benefits, and allowing you to support American Atheists all at the same time!
How to make a Qualified Charitable Distribution
- Contact your IRA’s custodian (where your IRA is held) and let them know that you are interested in making a QCD.
- Make the request for a QCD in writing. Your IRA custodian will likely have a form you can complete. Note: You need to complete the QCD by December 31 for it to count for the current tax year.
- Specify the dollar amount that you wish to contribute to American Atheists (and any other charities you’d like to support).
- Your IRA custodian can either send American Atheists your contribution directly or you can request that the check (made out to American Atheists) be mailed to you so you can forward it with your contact information.
- American Atheists will provide you with a tax receipt.
- Keep this receipt on file for your annual tax returns.
- Report the QCD amount on your 1040 federal tax return.
- Enter the total amount(s) on line 4a of your 1040 federal tax return.
Gifts of Stock
You can choose to donate appreciated stocks or securities to American Atheists and reduce your capital gains tax liability while making a considerable impact on our work! When selling stocks, they can be taxed at a rate as high as 37%. By donating stock directly, there are no taxes on the process. The entire stock is transferred at its valued price to American Atheists and you can receive a tax deduction for the entire market value of the stocks or securities.
American Atheists has partnered with Cocatalyst to process direct donations of stocks and securities. Click the button below to begin.